It’s that time of year… all our thoughts turn to Brunch.
I had a hunch you thought I would say our thoughts turned to love – but as Mother’s Day is just ahead on Sunday, May 14th, we love to share our favorite places to take Mom to Brunch.
There is no better place to treat the family or surprise Mom that the restaurants in Destin and 30A on the Emerald Coast. My only difficult task today is limiting myself to my fave five!
1. Brotula’s Seafood House and Steamer tops our list because we just enjoyed brunch there recently. We sat at a table overlooking the Destin Harbor and we recommend asking for Garrett, our server who was attentive, pleasant and full of good suggestions. The revamped brunch menu is amazing, pictured is the seafood omelette. Packed with shrimp and lump crab meat, cream cheese and sweet corn it was delicious.
You can also order off the lunch menu. I tried their Spinach Salad topped with Grilled chicken – I could have added it fried or blackened fish instead. The Bloody Mary’s were just $5.00 and for $12.00, you can enjoy a bottomless Mimosa. If you want to bring a cake to celebrate, Brotula’s will serve it, cut it and plate it at no extra charge. A family friendly place they immediately brought out the children’s meals so they did not get fidgety in the high chairs provided. Our five-year-old grandson danced with his grandfather to the live music provided by the three-piece band. A mixture of country and contemporary music, I found myself singing along and was pleased we could still converse over the music. It was a delightful experience and I would recommend making reservations soon as I am sure this will be a popular place not just on Mother’s Day but every Sunday.
2. The Perfect Pig has two locations on 30A, one is just a half mile from San Remo in Gulf Place in Santa Rosa Beach. Their other location is in Seagrove Beach at the Shops of Grand Isle. Although I have eaten at both, I prefer their newly updated location at Gulf Place. We can walk there from San Remo and it is more spacious. Service at both places is friendly and they annually are awarded Trip Advisor’s Certificate of Excellence. I went to the Perfect Pig with girlfriends recently and enjoyed the House made quiche with Applewood smoked bacon, caramelized onions and gruyere cheese. The portion was generous and I shouldn’t have finished it all, but it was too delicious to stop eating. As the name suggests, the Perfect Pig does pulled pork perfectly. Succulent, deliciously spiced and freshly cooked, you can enjoy it for brunch on a biscuit with bourbon molasses mustard. As the server’s shirts say, Praise the Lard! You can make reservations for breakfast. It is served from 8 am to 2 pm, they also serve the lunch menu starting from 11 am to 3 pm. Don’t be surprised if you are tempted to pig out – it is the perfect place to do it.
3. If you want to really rock Mom’s Mother’s Day, why not take her to lunch on a 125-foot yacht? While not your typical brunch, theSunquest Cruise Solaris offers a two-hour cruise (Gilligan and the Skipper not invited) on the picturesque Choctaw Bay. Enjoy fine dining with a menu that includes Chicken Piccata, Tile Fish and Filet Mignon while listening to the live entertainment. We enjoyed a cruise recently on the Solaris. We started on the upper deck with the wind in our hair while we enjoyed a celebratory glass of wine. Then back to the indoor dining area for our meal served without a wave while we cruise from one end of the bay to the other. The DJ got us all to dance and I can just imagine your Mom leading the Electric Slide on Mother’s Day. You can make reservations on line or call them to reserve a most unique Mother’s Day experience.
4. Why do people come to our gulf front condos? Why, the view – and that is why we recommend the Vue on 30A in Santa Rosa Beach. Just minutes from Adagio and San Remo, the Vue is one of the few 30A restaurants that has dramatic gulf views from your table. My husband and I ate there recently for brunch and he enjoyed his favorite Crab’s Benedict while I headed straight for the omelet station to get my favorite mushroom and cheese. You can eat indoors looking out the waterfront windows or on the shaded outdoor patio. For special occasions like Mother’s Day and Easter, there is a fixed price Brunch menu with a buffet. Hurry to make your reservations though, the Vue on 30A is the perfect place to celebrate Mom’s special day in paradise.
5. Take Mama to Mama Clemenza’s on Mother’s Day. Treat Mom to a European style menu complimented by a Bellini with Peach Nectar or a cup of their custom roasted coffee. You will likely be greeted by Mama Clemenza herself and she will tell you about the menu which is special every day – crepes, gouda grits or my favorite, the platter of European-style pastry. Tiny and tucked away in Miramar Beach on Highway 98, it is convenient to our guests at Villa Coyaba but worth the drive for our guests on 30A. The setting is casual but the food is upscale. I would call it a must for Foodies and steer our friends with little ones to one of our other choices. If you don’t have time to fly Mama to Italy for Brunch, take her to Mama Clemenza’s. Call for reservations as being a very intimate size, they fill up quickly.
There are many other wonderful choices for Brunch, we list them on our free app YFAB, so if you want to see our other personally reviewed (at great expense to our waistline) brunches, I have a hunch you will find it on YFAB. Not in town for Mother’s Day? You can be, just call Your Friend at the Beach for last minute openings or a summer vacation for Mom. We are in the business of making memories…